Implant dentistry can enhance your smile, reinstating the confidence delivered by a complete, healthy smile. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement options that replace your missing root along with the crown. This ensures a steady, durable, long-lasting outcome that will re-establish the full functionality of your tooth. At Family Smiles Fort Lee, we offer modern dental implants as a way to remedy your smile defects.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are calculated to work like your natural teeth. They provide a secure and stable foundation, supporting a single tooth crown or another type of restoration. The implants can replace the entire missing tooth by serving as tooth roots.
Dental implants comprise a combination of three components:
- A titanium metal post placed beneath the gums to mimic the tooth root
- An abutment that covers the top of the implant above the gum line
- A dental crown, bridge, or dentures that connect to the abutment and replace your missing tooth
Candidates for Dental Implants
- Have one or more missing teeth
- Have a healthy mouth,
- Have good overall health
- Have sufficient bone density to hold the implant securely
- Have a good bite
- Free from gum disease
- Do not take medications that may impact bone healing
- Don't smoke or chew tobacco
Process for Dental Implants
Dental implants work by being surgically placed in the crest beneath your gums. The implant is inserted in the missing tooth's space, or multiple implants may be secured in strategic locations to anchor a dental bridge or dentures.
While you are anesthetized, the dental implants are surgically placed beneath your gums. Over the next several months, the implant studs and the surrounding bone will graft together, providing a stable and durable foundation for the replacement tooth.
Once the implants have healed, they are exposed again to place the connector piece called abutments. The abutments facilitate the dental crown placement that resembles a natural tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Allow for proper dental hygiene and regular teeth cleanings and keep your natural teeth healthy.
- They combat receding gums as otherwise, missing teeth can make changes to your mouth over time.
- They prevent the jawbone loss caused by missing teeth
- They help maintain the strength and function of your jawbone
- They bridge the void left by a missing tooth
- They align the upper and lower teeth, making everyday activities convenient.
To learn more about our implant dentistry options, visit our office, Family Smiles Fort Lee, at 810 Abbott Boulevard Suite 302, Fort Lee, NJ 07024. You can also reach us at (201) 224-2705 and schedule an appointment.